Akiba Commercial Bank
Akiba Commercial Bank started its activities in 1997 at the initiative of 300 Tanzanian business people who saw a high demand for microfinance in their country. In 2011, the bank has seven branches in and around the capital city Dar es Salaam en in two other cities, and is looking to expand further. Hivos-Triodos Fund and Triodos-Doen are among the shareholders of Akiba Commercial Bank; a senior Triodos Bank officer represents the funds on the Board of Directors.
KEY INDICATORS Akiba at year-end 2012:
- number of loan clients: 27,055
- percentage female clients: 50%
- percentage rural clients: 0%
- average loan amount: EUR 1,248
- number of savings clients: 213,104