Microfinance institution Bereke, which means ‘prosperity’ in the local language, focuses on small-scale enterprises in the northeast of Kazakhstan. Bereke provides group loans to women in particular and extends loans to over 6,000 clients in the three regions in which it operates. Bereke is also intensely socially engaged. It actively supports human rights, it has set up a water project, it works to promote equality between men and women and it has established a rehabilitation centre for returned refugees. Hivos-Triodos Fund has provided Bereke a loan.
KEY INDICATORS Bereke at year-end 2012:
- number of loan clients: 7,946
- percentage female clients: 89%
- percentage rural clients: 58%
- average loan amount: EUR 710
- number of savings clients: -