For news and views from Triodos Bank, as well as the stories behind some of our customers
Triodos Bank’s lending grows by 36%
Triodos Bank has announced record annual growth in 2011, with a 36% increase in its UK loan book to £424m.
07-02-2012 | Triodos Bank has announced record annual growth in 2011, with a 36% increase in its UK loan book to £424m. The results represent a net increase of £113m, compared to £64m in 2010, with new loans supporting a range of sustainable businesses and initiatives. The bank’s total loan book lending and commitments now total £625m.
Triodos only lends to businesses and charities delivering social and environmental benefits, from renewable energy to community initiatives, so all the money deposited with the bank by its savers actively supports projects working towards a more sustainable society. The bank has challenged customers of other banks to consider whether their bank has similar positive impact.
Dr Bevis Watts, Head of Business Bank at Triodos says: "These results are very exciting and mean we're already two years ahead of our previous business plan targets. 36% growth over the year demonstrates demand for sustainable finance despite the challenging economic environment. It's also an indication that a sustainable and socially conscious approach can help businesses and charities to flourish, bucking the trends of the wider market."
Key figures for 2011
- In 2011 Triodos Bank's UK lending grew by 36%
- The UK loan book grew by £113m to £424m
- Gross new loans paid out were approximately £135m in 2011
"Demand is so high for finance from Triodos that we now have to carefully select the strongest applicants to ensure the money savers deposit with us has the greatest possible positive social and environmental impact. We expect our lending to grow by at least a further 20% in 2012, but we could do even more if more people took a conscious decision about their savings. So, I challenge individual savers and businesses to think about what their savings could be doing if their money was deposited with a bank with a more conscious and sustainable approach to lending and investment."
The bank's largest volume growth areas were renewable energy and social housing, with significant growth to other areas of its loan book including a 150% increase in its lending to the education sector and 30% growth in healthcare. Loans to arts and cultural projects grew by 22% and lending to organic farms was up by 11%.
Organisations that borrowed from Triodos Bank in 2011 include:
- Tablehurst Farm, an organic community farming cooperative in East Sussex which used loan finance to install a solar PV system provided by Triodos customer Southern Solar;
- Utility Aid, a Lincolnshire based social enterprise which supports charitable organisations by offering simple, clear and impartial advice on how to save money and make better purchasing decisions;
- Sleat Community Trust on the Isle of Skye to purchase Tormore Forest for sustainable forestry and enterprise for the community's benefit;
- Community Base which provides affordable office space for charities and voluntary groups in Brighton; and
- Giroscope, a social enterprise in Hull which renovates empty dilapidated properties for use by those most in need of housing.
Notes to editors
For more information, high resolution photographs, case studies, customer quotes, or to arrange interviews, please contact Will Ferguson 0117 980 9770 or email email@example.com .
Triodos Bank only finances enterprises which create social, environmental or cultural added value. Key sectors include organic food and farming, renewable energy, social housing, and fair trade. Transparency is a core value: customers are informed about the bank’s lending and can target their savings to particular areas of investment. A range of personal savings accounts is offered, and full banking services are available for businesses and charities. Triodos Bank is an independent bank founded in the Netherlands in 1980. Its principles and independence are protected through a special shareholding trust. The UK office opened in 1995 and is based in Bristol.
To find out more about Triodos Bank’s range of banking services, visit www.triodos.co.uk or call 0500 008 720. Triodos Bank’s full international results will be available in April 2012.