Akiba Commercial Bank
Akiba Commercial Bank started its activities in 1997 at the initiative of 300 Tanzanian business people, who saw high demand for microfinance in their country. The bank has a number of branches in and around the capital city Dar es Salaam and two other cities, and is looking to expand further. Hivos-Triodos Fund and Triodos Sustainable Finance Foundation are among the shareholders in Akiba Commercial Bank; a senior Triodos Bank officer represents the Triodos funds on the Board of Directors.
KEY INDICATORS as of 31 December 2015:
- number of loan clients: 21,750
- percentage female clients: 60%
- percentage rural clients: 0%
- average loan amount: EUR 1,331
- number of savings clients: 175,197