About the role
Triodos Bank is one of Europe’s leading sustainable banks, whose mission is to make money work for positive social, environmental and cultural change. This is an exciting opportunity to join Triodos as Head of Business Banking and lead the bank’s work to finance social and environmental change in the UK. The role reports directly to the UK CEO and will be a member of the Core Management Committee and Senior Management Team. The Head of Business Banking is also the Chair of Credit Committee and a member of Asset and Liability Committee and Non-Financial Risk Committee.
You will provide overall leadership of our business lending, demonstrating strategic vision for how the bank can have positive impact in society and provide a strong personal commitment to the mission and values of the bank. You will also contribute to the wider development of the bank in the UK and Europe.
Key responsibilities are:
- As a member of the UK Core Management Committee and Senior Management Team contribute to the strategic direction and management of key aspects of the business
- With other Core Management Committee members, lead the delivery of business strategy, risk strategy, risk appetite and objectives, and contribute to leadership of Triodos Bank as a whole
- Lead the Business Banking team to ensure they deliver business objectives and drive best practice
- Provide leadership and set expectations for direct reports to manage their teams effectively, where relevant
- Create a high-performance environment, seek to develop and coach others to reach the maximum individual potential
- Develop strong internal relationships with associated functions in UK and overseas, providing internal leadership
- Act as a senior leader and representative inside the bank, in UK and Group, and at external events and media opportunities
- Comply with all regulatory obligations and internal governance to help ensure ethical behaviour which delivers fair outcomes for TBUK customers
Product Development & Management:
- Responsible for commercial management and oversight of lending services to social, environmental and cultural initiatives, including term loans, commercial mortgages, overdrafts and project finance
- Leading business development of our wider business banking service, including current accounts and deposit accounts, creating a strong relationship banking culture
- Responsible for developing and marketing new services to existing and potential customers, and markets
- Key stakeholder to marketing, ensuring that the marketing strategy for business and charity services is clear to audiences and activity is achieving target results
Lending and internal and external compliance:
- Working closely with the Team Managers and Relationship Managers on prominent issues such as assessing and negotiating complex lending proposals, dealing with complaints or major new development areas such as club deals or off-balance sheet funds
- Acting as Chair and a decision maker in the Credit Committee meetings
- Comply with all regulatory obligations and internal governance to help ensure fair outcomes for TBUK customers
- Comply with all your SMF responsibilities in accordance with the Senior Manager Regime, as set out in the Responsibilities Map
- Representing the UK on the International Business Banking Platform, attending quarterly meetings with international peers and leading development projects across the Group as appropriate
- Travelling and spending time when required internationally and within the UK
- Ensuring the Business Banking Department works efficiently to meet high customer expectations and provision of thought leadership presence in core markets
- Accountable for prudential control of the Business Banking budget within the control of the role holder
- Serving as a senior bank signatory and member of the UK Assets and Liabilities Committee (ALCO)
Brand and mission:
- Contribute to brand promotion and the mission of Triodos through personal and professional networking, speaking engagements and through professional and industry bodies
Triodos Bank is proud of its culture, ethos and ability to make a positive change in society. It is important that candidates evidence a strong commitment to Triodos Bank’s core values of ethical sustainability and transparency, as well as the personal qualities to live these values. The successful candidate will operate with the highest integrity; demonstrate a deep understanding of the mission of Triodos Bank and willingness to take responsibility for safeguarding, representing and contributing to the development of that mission.
To be successful in this role, you will possess a breadth of experience in commercial lending and project finance. Experience of operating within the sustainability agenda and knowledge of environmental and social sectors to management level is highly desirable. Experience of managing a medium sized team including remote and home-based workers is essential. Experience of negotiating complex legal agreements, managing change programmes and policy development is also required. You will need exemplary organisational skills and attention to detail, being able to create a vision for the department and drive projects through to completion. Educated to degree level or equivalent preferably with a business or banking qualification.
What we offer
In return for your commitment and hard work, you will be rewarded with a competitive salary, plus a benefits package including:
- Non-contributory pension scheme from your first day of 8% in year 1 and 10% from year 2 onwards
- Life Assurance (worth 4 times basic pay)
- Income Protection - 75% of basic pay after 13 weeks sick and following six months service
- Private Medical Insurance
- A Health Cash Plan
- Vitality Leave – After each 7 years of service, you will be able to take a sabbatical of up 3 months
- 25 days (FTE) plus bank holidays per annum with additional increase in holiday though length of service (up to 5 days FTE)
- A buy and sell holiday scheme of up to 5 days (FTE) to maximum of 30 days
- Season Ticket Loan available for commuting into the office
- A wellbeing allowance of £100 a year
- Voluntary benefits, including discounts and cycle to work scheme
This role is designated as a Senior Manager Function within the Senior Manager Regime under the category SMF6 “key business area function” because the role is a direct report of the CEO and has a high level of responsibility and Business Lending activities account for more than 20% of the gross revenue for TBUK Ltd.
The recruitment for this opportunity is being handled by Sapphire Partners. For further information, or to apply for this role, please contact Sally Springbett on 0775 138 6223
Please note that if your application is successful that first stage interview will be held on w/c 3rd August.
Triodos embraces flexibility and diversity in the workplace and is proud to be a Living Wage Employer and a Disability Confident "Committed" employer. Should you wish to discuss flexibility with us, please do inform us in your application.
Please note, Triodos Bank reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its vacancies if we receive a suitable number of high-quality applications from which to make a shortlist. We recommend that you apply for one of our roles as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.
30 June 2020