How do I change the name on my account?

If your name has changed, please send us an original or certified copy of the documentation (marriage certificate, deed poll*, decree nisi or decree absolute) with a covering letter detailing your account numbers. 

All certified copies must be in colour.  We’ll return original documents by registered post.

Certifiers must clearly write that they have seen the original document, and that the photograph, if applicable, represents a true likeness of you.  They must also include their full name, profession, business address, phone number and the date they certified the document.

The following people can certify documents for you:

  • Accountants (registered with either ICAEW, ICAS, CAI, ACCA, CIPFA or CIMA)
  • Solicitors
  • Post Office – a fee may be charged for using this service
  • Bank staff (must include branch stamp)

Please ensure you sign the letter with your old signature and also your new signature if it has changed.

*We understand there may be specific reasons that prevent you from having your deed poll enrolled with the courts or from getting certified copies of documents. In this instance, please call us so we can gain a more comprehensive understanding of your circumstances.

If your name hasn’t changed but you want to change how we address you, you can update your ‘salutation’ in Internet Banking at any time, under Personal Details. This will not change the name on your bank account(s).

Related FAQs

Related how-to guides

How to update your account and personal details

Related downloads

Find what you were looking for?

Search our help and support section for more

Go to help and support