If you authorised a card payment or any other payment from your account, you will be responsible for it. If your card or security details are used to make a payment or transfer without your permission, we will refund the full amount (minus £35 where applicable) of the payment as soon as is operationally possible. This includes repayment of any interest or charges incurred as a result of the payment. However, you must notify us as soon as possible and no later than 13 months after the debit date. After this time we will not be able to issue a refund.
You may have to pay up to £35 if:
- Your card is used after being lost or stolen
- You fail to keep your security details safe
You may be responsible for money taken from your account up until the point you report it to us, if you:
- Don’t keep your card or security details secure
- Don’t tell us as soon as possible that your card is lost or stolen
- Share your card, digipass or security details with a third party
- You were aware that your account had been compromised at the time that the payment was made and you failed to tell us.
You will not be responsible if you’re unable to notify us because our phone lines are unexpectedly unavailable or closed, as long as you call us when our lines open the next day.
- Contact us immediately on 0330 355 0355 (or if abroad on +44 (0)1179 739339) if:
- You’ve lost your card or suspect it has been stolen
- You’ve lost any of your security details or think they have been stolen
- You think someone else may be able to use your card or security details
For card related queries, we're available 24/7. For other fraud related queries, we're available 8am-6pm Mon-Fri, and 10am-4pm weekends.
2. Once you've contacted us:
- We'll ask you for all information you have about the loss or theft and may require you to report it to the police
- If you find your card after reporting it as lost or stolen do not use it. Destroy your card immediately by cutting through both the magnetic stripe and chip
3. Once you’ve let us know, you can also report it to Action Fraud – the UK’s national fraud and cyber crime reporting centre:
- Call: 0300 123 2040
- Report it online: actionfraud.police.uk
To report your card lost or stolen please call us on 0330 355 0355 (or +44 (0)1179 739339 if calling from abroad) to speak to our 24/7 card services department. Unfortunately we do not have a facility to offer emergency cash in the instance where your card has been lost or stolen. A new debit card should arrive at your home address within five working days.
If you cannot find your card, you can put a temporary block on it by texting TRIODOS LOCK, followed by your six digit access code, followed by the last four digits of the sixteen digit number on the front of your card to 57887. For example, TRIODOS LOCK 123456 1234.
Your access code and the last four digits of your card number can be found in internet banking. This block can be lifted if the card is later found in a safe place
Contact us immediately on 0330 355 0355 (or +44 (0)1179 739339 if calling from abroad) if you think you've lost any of your security details or if you think they have been stolen or may be known by someone else.
You can request a password reset letter on our website at any time. This will cancel the old password to prevent access to your account by internet banking using the old password.
Do not respond to any email that asks you for information about your internet banking log in details. If you have received a suspicious email, do not respond and call our Contact Team as soon as you can during our opening hours on 0330 355 0355 to check if it is a genuine email.
Our Contact Team is available 8am-6pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-4pm on weekends for fraud related enquiries only.
Outside of these hours you can request a call back using our automated system. Our Contact Team will call you back as close to the time you request as is operational possible. Alternatively please email us at email@example.com from the registered email address we hold for you and mark it urgent in the subject line.
Phishing is a common type of internet fraud. Phishing emails are designed to appear as though they are from a legitimate source, but intend to steal personal information that can be used to access your account.
Do not respond to any email that asks for any information in relation to your internet banking log in details. If you have received a suspicious email, do not respond and call us if you need any further information.
Our Contact Team are available from 8am-6pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-4pm on weekends for fraud-related enquiries only. Outside of these hours you can request a call back using our automated system. Our Contact Team will call you back as close to the time you request as is operational possible. Alternatively please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org from the registered email address we hold for you and mark it urgent in the subject line.
- Log into Internet Banking
- Click on the 'Cards' tab and you'll be provided with a six digit access code
- Send a text message to 57887 with the following message: 'TRIODOS PINACT', followed by your access code, followed by the last four digits of your card number - you need a space between sets of numbers. For example: TRIODOS PINACT 123456
- You'll be sent your card PIN via text message within a couple of minutes - don't forget to delete that text message after memorising your PIN
- You're ready to use your card - remember to sign the back
Please note that some mobile providers do not process text messages to 5 digit numbers. If you text and do not receive a response from us please call us as your request will not have been confirmed and processed.
If you need any help activating your account, please call our friendly Bristol-based contact team - they'll have your everyday banking working for people and planet in no time. They're available Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm on 0330 355 0355 (+44 117 973 9339 if you are not in the UK).
Need to set up your digipass too? Watch our how-to video.
We undertake monitoring on customer accounts and transactions to identify suspicious activity that could potentially be fraudulent. If we identify suspicious activity on any of your accounts, we will contact you to verify whether it is genuine. We may delay or decline transactions, or block your account until we can confirm the authenticity of requests received. When we contact you, we will ask you security questions but these will not include any information about your internet banking log in details. If you receive a call claiming to be someone from Triodos Bank and you are suspicious call us back on 0330 355 0355 and our Contact Team will be able to confirm if it was a genuine call.
The minimum age for applicants is 18 and you must be UK resident.
Unfortunately not. The account is online only (via mobile app and internet banking) with text alerts to help customers manage their money. However, our Contact Team is available to offer support should you have any issues using your account contact us.
Our card department provides 24 hour transaction monitoring on the Triodos Debit Card and will block a transaction or a card if required. In this event they will send a text message asking you to call them. The will ask standard identity questions around your personal details and investigate the transaction with you. They will not ask for the card PIN, three-digit CVV code on the back of the card or any information regarding your digipass.
We don't, but we do have a range of savings options such as ISAs and online/postal savings accounts.
In order to safeguard your personal information and money we require a three stage login process for internet banking, one of which involves the use of a digipass. This is similar to the card reader facility at some other banks and is used along with other systems to ensure your finances are kept safe. We constantly review our security measures and publish guidance on steps that can be taken to prevent fraud such as the Take 5 campaign through FFA UK.
We recommend you check that you have the necessary secure (SSL) connection with Triodos Bank.
How to check your secure connection with Microsoft Internet Explorer:
1. In the address line, HTTPS should appear instead of HTTP. The "S" stands for secure
2. Select "Properties" from the "File" menu
3. Next to "Connection" it says SSL x.y, where x.y = version number
4. Select "Certificates" for information about the certificate assigned to Triodos Bank (or double-click on the padlock in the browser status bar).
To prevent unauthorised access and viruses being downloaded onto your computer, you should use a firewall and anti-virus software.
A personal firewall is software that protects your computer against abuse from hackers and warns you if someone tries to gain access to your computer.
This type of protection is very important for computers that have a permanent internet connection, e.g. with an (A)DSL (broadband) or cable connection.
Here are some tips for using your firewall and anti-virus software effectively:
- Make sure you always install the most recent updates
- Make sure the anti-virus software is always activated, even when you are not connected to the internet
- Make sure you set up the anti-virus software to scan your entire computer regularly
- If an active anti-virus programme or firewall causes problems with Triodos internet banking, please check the settings of the anti-virus software and the firewall Internet banking security
- Only install software of known origin and integrity
Do not save encrypted pages on your hard drive. It is standard practice not to save encrypted pages in your browser. This ensures that other users of the same computer cannot access these pages when you are finished with them. You can check and if necessary change the security setting for your browser. With Microsoft Explorer proceed as follows:
- select "Internet Options" in the "Tools" menu
- go to the "Advanced" tab
- under "Security", activate the "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" option.
If you authorise a payment from your account, you will be responsible for it. Where you tell us a payment from your account was not authorised by you, you can ask us for a refund. However, you must notify us as soon as possible and no later than 13 months after the debit date. After this time we will not be able to issue a refund.